Ein Vipern-Quiz vom lästigen Mario

Kreuzotter, Sandotter, Wiesenotter

Moderatoren: Vipersgarden, Herpetofauna.at-Team

Fühlt sich wie zu Hause

Re: Ein Vipern-Quiz vom lästigen Mario

Beitragvon Gast » Mo Jun 06, 2005 7:16

Hi Mario,
On what publication is your statement that Acridophaga macrops is now the name to be used for the former Vipera ursinii macrops based? I have no knowledge of this change and I would like to learn where it was published, if at all. I would like to add that if such a change would take place, the graeca taxon would have to be included in the species macrops (albeit as a subspecies or whatever), thus the range you drew on the little should stretch further south, I guess.
Furthermore, if I am "Feiglinge" for not being able to put my intuitive guess into words, then why don't you tell us how to tell it's macrops???? For as far as I know the picture did not give any clue to tell that it was macrops and not some other ursinii-renardi. Always interested to learn. g's, J.
(you can answer in German - apologie for my lack of knowledge of the language = another reason for not describing my guess for ursinii).

Beitragvon Vipersgarden » Mo Jun 06, 2005 8:31

Die Gattung "Acridophaga" wurde von Nilson & Andren (The Meadow and Steppe Vipers of Europe and Asia - the Vipera (Acridophaga) ursinii Complex ins Leben gerufen. Auch führen sie bei den Artbeschreibungen bei Vipera "ursinii" macrops - ursinii unter Anführungszeichen, um anzudeuten, dass macrops schon längere Zeit (zusammen mit graeca und moldavica) von den anderen Mitgliedern der ursinii-Gruppe getrennt ist.
Die beiden, auf Gen-Analysen basierenden "Stammbäume" sollen dies verdeutlichen.

Bild

Bild

Seither habe ich in verschiedenen Publikationen statt Vipera ursinii immer wieder Acridophaga ursinii gefunden. Ebenso die ehemaligen Unterarten als Arten angeführt.

Ob so etwas wirklich Sinn macht, sei dahingestellt !!

Mario
Mario Schweiger

http://www.vipersgarden.at
.. und das neue englischsprachige Feldherpetologen-Forum - FIELDHERPING.EU

Fühlt sich wie zu Hause

Beitragvon Mamba » Mo Jun 06, 2005 9:39

Hi Mario
Leider hast Du die zweite Frage von Jeroen nicht beantwortet, weshalb ich jetzt lästig werden und nachhaken muss: Nach welchen auf dem Bild klar zu erkennenden Merkmalen können die Tiere mit absoluter Sicherheit als macrops angesprochen werden? Sollte dies nicht 100-prozentig möglich sein, ist der Ausdruck "Quiz" (englisch = Befragung, Test, Prüfung) fehl am Platz und es würde sic h um ein Ratespiel handeln, wobei das Desinteresse an einem solchen sicher nicht als Feigheit bezeichnet werden kann.
Mit Grüssen aus Kärnten
Einer, der auch gern dazulernt

Beitragvon Vipersgarden » Mo Jun 06, 2005 10:07

Hallo Peter,
Bei der Vorstellung des Bildes fragte ich nach der ART !
Und das wäre VIPERA URSINII oder ACRIDOPHAGA (URSINII)MACROPS, je nach Auffassung gewesen.
Natürlich kann man den Unterschied zwischen z.B. ursinii ursinii und (ursinii) macrops auf dem Bild nicht wirklich erkennen. Dazu müsste man sehen können, bei welchem Bauchschild (von vorne gezählt) die Reduktion der Rückenschuppen-Reihen von 21 auf 19 erfolgt. Ausserdem kann man an Hand des Fotos ja auch nicht die Bauchschilder zählen (und zwischen beiden "Arten" gibt es auch noch gewaltige Überschneidungen !!).
ursinii ursinii, wie von Jeroen festgestellt, waren sie nicht, wohl aber ursinii (oder macrops)!
Und das mit den "Feiglingen" war (vielleicht ein bisschen zu) zynisch gemeint. Die Bilder zwar anschauen, aber sich nicht trauen, eine Vermutung zu posten.
Mario
Mario Schweiger

Beitragvon Vipersgarden » Di Jun 07, 2005 7:11

Hi Jeroen and all others,
yesterday night I have read the Nilson & Andren (2001) ursinii book very carefully.
There I found something, how you may differ ursinii from Vipera ´ursinii´ macrops.
In ursinii (Italy and France) the corners of the zig-zag band are rounded, whereas in macrops they are pointed.
So I have checked all pics available to me (Internet, Brodmann, De Smedt, Stergule, Bruno, Fretey and more).
And that´s it. I had found just one exception, where it is not so clear. The ursinii ursinii pics by Konrad Mebert in his Webshots Monte Sibillini Album.
regardes
Mario
Mario Schweiger

Fühlt sich wie zu Hause

Beitragvon Gast » Do Jun 09, 2005 10:07

Hello Mario and other Herpetophiles,

first, thanks for using my picture for a little quiz.

Second, the Italian ursinii's I pictured last year, indeed, do have a mixture of rounded and pointed edges on their dorsal band.

third, the Balkanian ursinii (or macrops) in this quiz I pictured this year predominantly show a rounded edge of their dorsal band, which is contrary to what Mario stated in his dorsal band reference. Could it be, that I tend to find the exceptions, or is it just a great variation ???

fourth, the quiz-couple I actually photographed (in situ) in the Zelegora Mountains, Bosnia-Hercegowina, and not the Durmitor, Montenegro. While there, I received an SMS from a friend, who warned me of mines in that area according his internet investigations. So, after a few more specimens, incl. V.ammodytes, but no V. b. bosniensis, which all should occur in sympatry, I left.

fifth, whether the rather long separation time between the Balkan stock and the other ursinii's is sufficient to elect a new genus (Acridophaga) beats my rationality. I guess at best a new species within Vipera, with the possiblity to elevate the subspecies graeca, moldavica, and macrops. But even in the latter case, I would wait any information of ursinii populations between macrops and graeca territories. In particular, there seems to be a lot of suitable habitat along the Albanian-Macedonian border, which could connect macrops and graeca populations.

sixth, thanks for putting my name on top of the photos. But even better would be to ask me first to use the photo. Otherwise, I certainly have no problem, that my photos are used on the internet.

this message will also be posted on the Yahoo Balkanherp group.

cheers, Konrad Mebert

Fühlt sich wie zu Hause

Beitragvon Gast » Do Jun 09, 2005 15:59

Dear Konrad et al.,

@ third point: this rounded vs. pointed turns criterion sounds very fishy to me and I also saw that it was incorrect for 'your' animals, as it will probably be for a lot of animals of both ursinii s.s. versus macrops s.s.
If you have a look at my graeca pictures ...
http://intramar.ugent.be/nemys/species. ... &act=4&p=1
... one might call the first turns pointed but the ones further down the body?
This animal (male) was also more heavily marked than the description of Nilson & Andren states (e.g. spotted belly => http://www.herp.it/jeroen/greece2004.htm )
I think it is very important to acknowledge the number of animals on which Nilson & Andren based their descriptions. Surely, they will have detected the major trends but patterns are always tricky. Or at least: that's what I think.

@ fifth point: I tend to agree with you on this.
Laszlo Krecsak wrote:
"The Acridophaga name as gen.nov. is from Reuss 1927: Sechs europaische Giftschlangengattungen. Zool. Anz. 124-129. Reuss named as the type: ursinii. Later on (1929) he described a new form from the Ural Acridophaga uralensis (presently synonym of renardi) and in all of his maps the distribution of these species covers the entire distribution of ursinii and renardi. All what Nilson and Andren did, is that they separated this group from the other European Vipera by using this name of Reuss on the basis of the Code's priority advice. Using it based on this advice
is in fact correct!"
I agree that this name is correct and may be used but to treat it as a genus is a different matter, I think. To be continued.
Jeroen.

Fühlt sich wie zu Hause

Beitragvon Gast » Fr Jul 22, 2005 12:34

Super Bertl, gewonnen !!!!!!

For our foregn speakers !, please have a look at the words print in green a bit more down!!

Dank an Konrad Mebert, der mir die 2 wunderschönen Aufnahmen gemailt hat.
Es ist (neuer Name) Acridophaga macrops,
früher unter Vipera ursinii macrops bekannt.
Die hier gezeigten Bilder entstanden vor etwa 3 Wochen "am" Durmitor, einem Gebirgsstock im Dreiländereck Kroatien - Bosnien - Montenegro

Thanks to Konrad Mebert for these 2 beautifull pics !
Now Acridophaga macrops, former Vipera ursinii macrops.
These two pics have been shot in the Durmitor area (Croatia - Bosnia - Montenegro) before about 3 weeks. Thanks to Konrad again, for mailing me these very good pics.

Bild

Bild

Mario

Vorherige

Zurück zu Giftschlangen