Dutch adders

Vipera, Montivipera, Macrovipera, Cerastes, Echis a.s.o.

Moderatoren: Vipersgarden, Herpetofauna.at-Team

Ist öfters hier

Dutch adders

Beitragvon Bobby » Mo Okt 08, 2007 20:08

Last friday I spent the day in one of the largest naturural areas in the Netherlands searching for reptiles and next to slow-worms, natterjacks, newts and viviparous lizards we found a lot of adders.

Bild
Bild

Bild
Bild

Bild
Bild

Bild
Bild

Bild
Bild
Bild
BildBild

Fühlt sich wie zu Hause

Re: Dutch adders

Beitragvon Leif-Erik Jonas » Di Okt 09, 2007 17:03

Hello Bobby!
Great photos!
But havent´t you got any black Adders there? Here in the south of Austria there are as much black Adders as "normal" (brown, grey, ...)ones or maybay the black ones are dominating.
I hope I´ll here from you & kind regards, Leif
P.S.: On the first pichture it seems that the Adder has eaten someting!

Ist öfters hier

Beitragvon Bobby » Mi Okt 10, 2007 17:56

Hello Leif! Thanks for the compliment, I have never seen black adders here, always normal (reddish) brown or grey ones. I know that sometimes they are seen but not often and not by me.

These melanistic adders often occur in habitats where it is somewhat colder (Black attracts sunlight and warmth), maybe that's why there are more black adders in Austria because it is somewhat colder then in Holland I believe.
BildBild

Fühlt sich wie zu Hause

Beitragvon Leif-Erik Jonas » Do Okt 11, 2007 14:48

Hello Bobby!
Thanks for your answer!

Bobby hat geschrieben:These melanistic adders often occur in habitats where it is somewhat colder (Black attracts sunlight and warmth), maybe that's why there are more black adders in Austria because it is somewhat colder then in Holland I believe.

I´ve been living in northern Germany (where the weather is like in Holland), so I know well about the weather there. Here in southern Austria the summers are warmer and the winters are colder. An there´s more snow of course. But in winter the Adders are sleeping. So it doesn´t really matter if it´s cold in winter or not.
But in 1200-1500 metres above sea level (where I´ve found the Adders) it´s colder than in Lienz (about 670 metres above sea level). So, I think you´re right: Up there where the Adders live it´s colder than in Holland. I haven´t thought about that, yet.
Kind regards, Leif

Ist öfters hier

Beitragvon Bobby » Mo Okt 15, 2007 19:21

Not a melanistic adder but an albino smooth snake has been seen in the south of Holland: http://waarneming.nl/wn_details.php?id=3049358

Very unusual!
BildBild

Zurück zu Venomous snakes - Giftschlangen