Chamaeleo chamaeleon

Lacertidae, Agamidae, Gekkonidae a.s.o.

Moderator: Vipersgarden

Ist öfters hier

Chamaeleo chamaeleon

Beitragvon Bobby » Mi Feb 28, 2007 19:44

This spring (May) I'm having a one week vacation to Crete and in the summer I'm visiting Samos. I have already found some nice places to visit on the internet to see local herpetofauna, but I would love to see and photograph chamaeleons in the wild. Is here any one who could tell me where on these islands they live (what places)?

Kind regards from the Netherlands,

Bobby Bok

Kennt sich schon aus

Beitragvon Jeroen » Do Mär 01, 2007 10:52

Dear Bobby,

For as far as I have been informed, persistent mentioning of chameleon presence on Crete (as on Sicily) is erroneous. On Samos, the species is, however, present. If you prospect reeds, tamarisk and similar vegetation in coastal dune areas, you should be able to find a chameleon. If not, asking local people will surely help, as this is a rather conspicuous species. Please let the forum know how it went as soon as you get back.

g's,

J.

Ist öfters hier

Beitragvon Bobby » Do Mär 01, 2007 20:51

Hallo Jeroen,

Thanks for your answer. Is it also possible to find them in the heat of the summer? I've visited Crete two years ago and experienced the heat of Greece during the summer, one Lacerta trilineata, a roadkill Hierophis and some Hemidactylus was the only result.

If other people have visited Samos (or Crete) before and know some places to look for chameleons or other reptiles, I would like to hear!

Kind regards,

Bobby

Kennt sich schon aus

Beitragvon pewter » Do Mär 01, 2007 22:02

I will visit samos in mid of may for a week - but with my girlfriend ;-)
so I´m "alone" and don´t have too many time but I will try my best to find something!
:P

Ist öfters hier

Beitragvon bertl » Fr Mär 02, 2007 20:11

I visited the island Samos last year at the beginning of April 2006 during the Easter holidays. Actually I was on the search for wild orchids. It was frequently coldly and rainy and also the wind often blew, therefore I and my companions could discover nearly no reptiles . Only under stones we found Typhlops, the worm queue. We knew that there is the Chamäleon in Samos. Therefore we wanted to find the desired reptile. We searched unsuccessfully at all possible places along the coast. In the last evening of our journey we asked a native Greek, who we had shown an illustration of the animal in the place named Psili Amos. He told us, that everywhere in the area the Chamäleon occurs, however only in the morning. Unfortunately we had to leave on the next morning, therefore we had come too late. The exact place: Coastal strip between the lagoon of Alyki and the sea. Successful searches!
:)
bertl

Ist öfters hier

Beitragvon Bobby » Fr Mär 02, 2007 20:34

Thanks for your answer! Another place on the list of places to visit.

Kind regards,

Bobby

Zurück zu Lacertilia - Echsen, Geckos,..